Friday, December 24, 2010

Random Christmas Memory: Tracking Santa


Back when I was a teenager, on Christmas Eve Nightline used to always do a feature about NORAD's Santa Tracking station and they would go from place to place around the world checking with different military personnel about when Santa would pass over their area. It was just a good fun thing on what was generally a slow news night. I remember very strongly shortly after the fall of the Soviet Union that they did the usual show, hitting Alaska, England, Germany etc... and then they went to some Russian Airforce guy (technically he wasn't Russia yet, this was the interim time between the Soviet Union and Russia being Russsia again.) This guy was grinning from ear to ear and said that this year Santa was cleared in Russian airspace for the first time in many, many years. I cried harder at that than I did when the Berlin Wall fell down. And I get a little teary-eyed just thinking about it now.

No comments: