Thursday, July 14, 2011

The last first date ever.

Twenty-three years ago today, I went on my first date with my husband. I was looking sharp in my Star Trek IV T-shirt, plaid pants and silver tennis shoes. We stopped at McDonald's in Toledo for lunch. I ordered a Diet Coke and picked at Tim's fries. Then we went to see this Who Framed Roger Rabbit at the Southwyck Mall.

.
Afterwards, we picked up Tim's guitar at his apartment at Hunter's Ridge and headed back down to Bowling Green to belatedly celebrate my friend Bet's birthday with cake and tunes from the musical Chess.  Not many people know the score from chess. Tim and I both knew it by heart.



Then we went to the Cla-Zel theater on Main Street along with Bet to see The Dead Pool. Any movie that features crazy lip-sycnching Jim Carrey being serially killed is well worth your time.



Tim and I got a little out of control with the commentary (this was before we even saw Mystery Science Theater 3000. I think they stole the idea from us.)  My friend Bet said. "Oh my God, it's like Cindy, in stereo."  And it kind of was.

At the conclusion of our date, I told Tim that if he was seeing anybody else, he should stop. "Because you know we're going to get married."

"Yeah." He sighed with resignation. "I know."


The house where I lived in Bowling Green is now a parking lot for the Wood County Library


The McDonald's has been turned into a day care center. Tim's old apartment complex went up in flames on the 4th of July a few years ago when someone set off fireworks inside.



Southwyck is now a vacant lot.



The Cla-Zel in BG no longer shows movies but it is still an entertainment venue.

We, on the other hand, have been together ever since. Our love is a bit like Donny and Marie Osmond.


It remains fresh and vibrant while sucking the life out of everything around it.



Geek Love 4 Evah! That is all.

No comments: