Sunday, July 29, 2012

Great Idea - tiles as serving pieces



I saw a bit on HGTV about using slate tiles to make a cheese board. It's handy because you can write on the slate with chalk. I couldn't find a slate tile at the store, but the nice lady at Lowe's did help me find these slate-colored ceramic tiles. They are around 18" by 18" and cost about $4 each. And the chalk shows up nicely. This is a British cheese board for a brit-themed party. Three cheeses, pears, apples and some chutney. I wrote the names of the cheeses in my gnarly handwriting. Still, pretty cute.


For the 4th of July, I did a Chicago Dog bar with all the condiments. People really enjoyed building the dogs. I included instructions on how to put it all together.


I slipped them into plastic notebook sleeves so I could use them again.


They also make great serving pieces for these appetizers. It looks a little different and I like how you can write the name of the item on the tile.


They are also heat proof, so I can serve this bubbling soup right out of the pot.

I really like the idea. I wish I had nice handwriting.


I like them so well, I think I might get a couple more so that I can cover the entire buffet for special occasions. I think it would be nice to have the whole buffet be heat safe for Thanksgiving.

No comments: