Saturday, May 13, 2017

How Cloud Eggs Saved Breakfast


This is a cloud egg. According to a post that popped up in my Facebook feed, they are the most Instagramable of all eggs. That fact alone isn't going to send me into the kitchen. After all, people Instagram the heck out of all manner of blue food. And you all know how I feel about that. *shudder*

Cloud eggs intrigued me because they solved my only problem with eggs.  I just cannot tolerate the texture of cooked egg white. No deviled eggs or egg salad for me. I like scrambled eggs, omelets, frittatas, runny yellow yolks carefully extricated from the white of a poached egg, and I ADORE meringue. That's why these cloud egg appealed to me. The whites are whipped into a fluffy savory meringue that just firms up while the yolks stay yellow and runny (unless you want them firmer.)

Plus these are super-simple to make.  You need eggs, salt, pepper, and little bit of grated parmesan. That's it.


Preheat your oven. There are two ways to do these. One is to put the oven at 320 degrees and cook for about 7 minutes. This leaves the eggs snowy white, but not stable enough to suit me. I prefer the two step method - cooking the whites 450 for five minutes, then lowering the temp to 320 to cook the yolks.

You can do as many eggs as you please. Here, I did four. Start by separating the eggs. Be very careful not to break the yolks.


Put the whites into a mixing bowl.  Add salt and pepper. (white pepper leave the eggs looking whiter.) Use a mixer or whip by hand (if you have powerful arms)


Whip the eggs until the meringue forms soft peaks. This needs to be stiff enough to make a well for the yolks.

Grate in about a teaspoon of parmesan per egg. Gently fold it in, being careful not to deflate the eggs.


Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and carefully spoon out the egg whites into equal sized clouds, one per yolk.

Use a spoon to make a well for the yolk.

Bake at 450 for 5 minutes (or less). Don't let it get too brown. You're just setting the meringue. Turn the oven down to 320.



If you don't see well-defined wells for the yolks. Press one out a bit more with a spoon. Now, carefully add the yolks. We don't want to break them.


Put back in the oven for about 5 more minutes until yolks are warmed through. (You can go longer if you like them firm.)

Carefully remove with a spatula. The meringue is pretty flexible and it's easy to break the yolk. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper to the yolk and serve.


These are so delicious. I will be enjoying these for breakfast frequently.


No comments: