Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Stately Mackley Manor Art Collection


Those who know us, know that we like stuff. We like pretty pictures, scary pictures, neo-classical pictures, kitsch... Our tastes our eclectic... Or as someone once said: Eccentric, but in a nice way. I bought some art this week. It will be installed in the permanent collection as soon as I bother to go pay the artist. But while I was thinking about how to rearrange the collection, I thought I'd take a few photos. Cause I like to take pictures of things. And I like to write about things. This is just like going to the Toledo Museum of Art. Except that the net value of my collection is probably in the neighborhood of $17.57. And you can talk all you want here. And bring food and beverages. In fact, please bring them! And there's no membership fee! Other than that little piece of your soul. Moohahahaha...  And we have cats. Lots of them. And the TV is usually on. But I digress.

Our first piece of art. A wedding present 20 years ago by Tim's Uncle Bob Schira.  I like how the black and white looks against the blue of the wall. I picked the wall colors because I thought the art and such would look good hanging against them. My friend Cheryl helped me make the walls this color while others doubted my sanity (or at least my color sense.)


This is one of several Tamara de Lempicka's work that I cut out of a a calendar I got for a dollar in one February. I love her work.

This is one of Jack Vettriano's most famous prints, though not my favorite. Got it for a dollar, though.


These are some locally manufactured paint-by-number kits from the fifties. Somebody's Mom had done about all of them and they were selling them for two dollars each at flea market. I controlled myself and only bought the two that reminded me of my vacation to Tahiti. Then I bought frames at the Dollar Store.
This is the first of my two limited edition prints. This is from the television show Andromeda. Then there's the Edward Gorey "Mystery" print that we got from the PBS catalog.


Then there's a poster of "The Artist's Honeymoon" that I bought Tim for our 5th anniversary.His hair was long and my hair was red then.


My Martini Clock!  It's always time for a cocktail!

Jesus knocking on the door to your heart. This belonged to my Mammaw.

The shadow box my friend Cheryl and I made to commemorate 20 years of being friends.

Got this at a garage sale for four dollars. 

A little slice of Hieronymus Bosch's version of hell.  Ten bucks at a flea market in the frame. Spotted it from the highway, I'm proud to say. "Turn, turn, I see a painting!"

A poster of "The Architect's Dream", Tim's favorite painting at the Toledo Museum of Art.


Psyche being accosted by Cupid.

 Kitchen Art! Some cool prints of appliances I got for a dollar each at Target in their dollar frames. I love the colors.


More Jack Vettriano - from a calendar that I got for a dollar one March in their Dollar Store Frames.

Tim uses damaged comic pages as art as well as comic promotion cards.
A poster of one of Tim's favorite comic covers framed over the mantle. I used gold paint to fancy up a cheap plastic frame from Wal-Mart.
I find post cards, greeting cards and such that look like my cats (current and late) and put
them in cheap frames.

My Homies! Click to see how I made it.

Original Horror Movie art I bought at the OWE festival.
Santa by my good friend Haylee Ross.

Are black vinyl wall decals art?

How about if I string them together to make a border for my future Steam Punk Office?


How about empty frames?

Are dolls just small sculptures in fabric art?


If you don't take down your Halloween decorations, do you have a gargoyle collection?

Do your Christmas decorations become art if you simply refuse to ever put them away? Maybe because you love buying pretty things at 90% discounts a month after Christmas?


And is this a brilliant pop-culture chandelier or did someone just not want to put the Hallmark away?


By the way, the plaster thing below: 50 cents


And then there's this:

 Dunky bird! Ellie Phant! Chicken! Porcine and the magic genie bottle. That's a whole other post.

No comments: